Sunday, July 27, 2014

Fort Gordon 10 Miler

The last couple of weeks have been busy for me getting ready to retire from the Army and looking for a job.  I have been able to get in some runs here and there so I don't fall off my running.  Mileage hasn't been very high, putting in about 36 miles the last couple of weeks.  Unfortunately, job hunting has been the priority and running has slacked a little bit.  Once things settle down and I get back on track within the next month my mileage will go back up.

Yesterday I completed the Fort Gordon 10 miler.  It was ugly, took me 2:06 to complete it.  The heat and humidity was crazy and the route didn't have a lot of shade on it.  Not to mention at about the 6 mile mark the bottom of my foot started hurting, in fact it's still pretty sore and hard to put weight on it.  I'm not sure what caused it yet.  I am trying some new compression socks that I am wondering is the cause.  Over a week ago I did a 6 mile and had the same pain afterwards when wearing the same socks.  I don't think it's my shoes as I wore different pair of shoes yesterday.  The only test will be to do a 6 or 7 mile run in my other socks and see how it goes.  I won't mention the brand yet as I want to see if it's the socks or something else.  Anyway, even though I was in a bit of pain, I was determined to complete the 10 miles not matter if I had to crawl through the finish line.  I am not happy at all with the time but sometimes you have to accept what you are able to do at the time.

The Review

Now on to a little review of the 10 miler.  Believe it or not, this race was FREE.  The Fort Gordon, GA Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) put on the race and didn't charge for the race.  This race was also a qualifier for the Army 10 Miler that is held in Washington D.C. in October.  I had no desire to try and qualify as I know I am not fast enough, especially since I know some of the people that ran it and they are fast.  Every runner was given a t-shirt and a participant medal.  The medal wasn't nothing to brag or write home about but for a free race it was something unexpected.  

The route was fairly hilly with a couple of descent size hills thrown in.  They had 4 water points at the 3, 5, 7 and 8 mile marks.  I think they should have put them at the 2, 4, 6 and 8 mile marks.  Going 3 miles on a warm and humid day without a water point is pushing it for some people.  The one good thing they had at the water points were cooling rags.  They had some small microfiber towels in coolers of ice water that were handed out at the water points.  This was a great idea and many runners I talked to after the race really loved them.  At the end of the race, they had the standard bananas and water but the best thing were a couple of misting fans at the finish line.  A good way to help cool down.  Overall, even with the heat and pain in my foot I did enjoy this race. 

My goal this week is to let my foot heal and hopefully I can get in a few miles towards the end of the week.  I am also waiting on some ENERGYbits to come in so I can try them out and see how well they work for me.  Once I am healed up and get the bits, I will do up a review on what I think.  From what I have seen from others, they seem to be pretty awesome.  Have a great week and GO RUN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment