Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Been a While

Well it has been a while since I updated the blog.  I really need to start keeping it up to date.  I have had issues with injuries lately, especially after a 10 miler I did back in December.  I think, and hope, that all that is behind me.  I have had a rash of injuries the past year or so and it gets frustrating.  Just as I get back on track and think I am good to go, BAM!! another injury.  I have come to realize that I just need to take things slow and don't worry about time and just concentrate on finishing whatever run I set out to do.

Now I have some extra motivation for my runs now, not that I didn't have any before.  I joined a group called IRun4, and waiting on someone to be matched to me so I can run for them.  Basically, the person you are matched to has a special needs and they are unable to run.  Therefore you are running not only for yourself but for them.  There is a Facebook page and reading all the posts shows how much support that not only the person with the special needs gets but the people running for them.  Right now the list is pretty long and it could take a few months before I am matched with someone.  In the meantime I will be running for those that do not have any matches yet until I am matched.

Another thing I came across, today in fact, is an app for Charity miles,.  You open the app and select a charity that you want the go out and run, bike or walk.  If you bike 10 cents is donated for every mile and for runners and walkers 25 cents is donated.  You don't have to do anything but run, walk or bike.

Now for what I have coming up in the future right now.  4th of July I will be doing the Yankee Doodle Dash 10K here in Augusta, GA.  It is a bare bones race and all the proceeds go to benefit the Augusta Warrior Project.  I also plan on doing the IR4 Declaration of RunDependence.  I more and likely will not have someone matched up to me by this time but I am going to do it for all the ones with no matches yet.  I also come to a decision to do a full marathon by the end of the year.  I found one outside Atlanta, GA but will wait just a little bit longer to see what is really out there before deciding which one I want to do.

On top of all this, I am happy to announce that I will be retiring from the U.S. Army after 20 years of service. I am looking forward to this and I plan on sticking with the running to keep my health up and stay in shape. Hope everyone has a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment